What is the most efficent way of killing prey much larger than yourself?
The title sums it up pretty well - I'm basically trying to envision the ultimate predator of much larger prey. A couple of requirements:
- The predator must weigh 44 kilograms or more (Megafauna)
- It must be specialized in killing said prey
- It must be something that could plausibly evolve
- It must be terrestrial and have legs
- It must be endothermic
- It shall hunt in an environment roughly similar to a savannah
- The predator mustn't use tools to hunt, only its body
Pack predators are allowed, but let's limit it to less than 20 individuals in a single hunting group (So no swarming). It can be terrestrial, aquatic or aerial, and parasitoidism is allowed, but not preferred.
On the prey's size - basically, assume that the maximum mass of the prey will be 200,000 kilograms, and that the minimum will be roughly 10x the size of the predator. The closer the prey is to the maximum, the better.
I define efficiency as essentially "the likelihood of a hunting attempt being successful".
As for what I'm looking for in answers, I'd like them to describe as much as is necessary - if only one method or aspect is required for the task, then the rest of the details can be left for me to decide.
I would suggest a large flying predator with a straight, thin, sharp horn. For evolutionary support consider a swordfish …
almost 3 years ago