"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Should we remove "What would X sport in space look like ?" questions

Parent

Should we remove "What would X sport in space look like ?" questions

+0
−2

Do posts like (What would X Sport look like in space?) belong in this community? It has nothing to do with science, some physics at best, and even then, only to a certain degree.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

In a previous meta question the community unanimously supported this type of question https://scienti... (5 comments)
−2

I vote on deleting sports questions for the following reasons :

• We can speculate about it, and anything we get from it will be based off of physics, not on biology, geology or the methodology used by science.
  • Sports from earth would be so modified in space they would have different names and largely different objectives and rules, making them different sports, not the adaptation of one. As time passes what once was football in 2 planets will be completely different as culture evolves
  • It is borderline brainstorming. There's no correct way for Golf or Football to exist in other planets
  • Most of the correct answers for those are "It would be just like earth, all you have to do is increase artificial gravity".
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

I'm not convinced that these reasons are either correct or relevant. To the first one: why can't gene... (1 comment)
I'm not convinced that these reasons are either correct or relevant. To the first one: why can't gene...
Peter Taylor‭ wrote 7 months ago

I'm not convinced that these reasons are either correct or relevant. To the first one: why can't generations of human evolution in non-Earth environments (i.e. biology) be relevant to answers? And are questions which only involve one subfield of science out of scope anyway? To the second: do you know how many sports called "football" exist on Earth and have virtually nothing in common? And why would linguistic evolution take something out of the scope of this site? To the third: what part of "Speculation" suggests that brainstorming is out of scope?