"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Natural ways to acquire gravity and heat for a colony on earth's moon

Parent

Natural ways to acquire gravity and heat for a colony on earth's moon

+1
−1

Is a colony on earth's moon must be deeply underground to ensure more natural gravity (by getting closer to its core) as well as more natural heat?

By natural heat I mean "without the need of artificial heating".

Update

I have splitted this question into two distinct question in Physics CD:

I encourage answerers to copy-paste and edit where needed, their answers, into these two posts.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
−1

There seem to be two separate questions here:

Would a moon colony need to be deep underground to get more gravity?

No. This is basic physics.

Going deeper into the a gravitational body reduces gravity. Think of the limiting case where you are in a hollow chamber in the middle of the moon. Gravity would pull equally in all directions, cancelling out. You would be weightless there.

Would a moon colony need to be deep underground to get more natural heat?

Huh? What does "natural" heat mean? What would be unnatural heat?

The answer is probably "no". The main source of heat on the moon is sunlight. Going deeper would reduce fluctuations to get closer to the average, not not really much more heat. The moon is too small to retain much fossil heat. The small volume relative to the surface area also means that heat from radioisotope decay is much less significant than on Earth.

A lunar colony would likely use solar collectors as a significant source of power, including heat. The main problem with that is the long nights, and therefore need for a large amount of storage, or additional power generation, like nuclear reactors.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
deleted user wrote almost 3 years ago

I think that saying "This is basic physics" is wrong on several accounts:

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

First, because, it goes beyond the actual answer to the actual question.

Second, because it's a matter of subjective definition --- for me it's not basic at all (saying that mass deposits are generally attached one to to the other might be "basic physics science" and saying that the larger the mass, the stronger such attachment might also be basic physics science), which is above possibly defined "fundamental physics" of just intuitively knowing about the existence of gravity in space and perhaps know that in earth's moon (for example) its different than on earth.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

@John: This is the scientific speculation site. Some minimum level of science is required to ask good questions and understand answers here. I'm not saying your understanding of gravity is below that level, but is nonetheless rather basic as Newtonian mechanics goes. This might make a better question on the physics site, since you're really asking about physics, not extrapolating from existing science.

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

I know which site it is; there are many sciences with many defined basics; some people can go far beyond in "levels" in say Botany or Neuroanatomy and miss something you define as "basic" physics; I believe I have a good enough understanding of science to ask questions here in general. I didn't recall the physics site which might be a good fit, at least for the gravity question.

What I should do is to to ask two questions there and ask you to split the actual-answer parts of your post to these questions.

I have published two standalone questions in Physics Codidact; I believe that that the answer should be split (and slightly edited) into these posts.

All that said; I have gained much knowledge from the actual answers in the post but have downtoed due to the "this is basic physics" saying which I find redundant and conflicting for no justification.