How can a massive ship be partially destroyed in reentry, but have the top part still intact?
In my world a giant ship attempts to land on a planet, sadly it fails. Fortunately the top half is intact but the bottom is ripped up, holes all over it, basically destroyed except for some lucky spots. I want the bottom of the ship destroyed but the top intact, meaning people in the top won't die. some things to know
- the planet has a pressure of 1.5 atmospheres and has an atmosphere similar to ours
- the ship is 100 meters tall, 200 meters wide and 300 meters long.
- the ship is in a egg like shape
- the heat shield is made of similar materials to the tiles that were on the space shuttle but much bigger
- each of the 25 floors are separated by thick steel but it is hollow for wires and other necessary things.
so what can i do to make it partially destroyed but not all. you can change the heat shield if necessary to answer.