"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What are Some House Games for Free Fall?

What are Some House Games for Free Fall? [closed]

+0
−2

Closed as too generic by Canina‭ on Dec 1, 2022 at 18:32

This post contains multiple questions or has many possible indistinguishable correct answers or requires extraordinary long answers.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

Living in space can be boring. What are some good home games for people living and working in free fall?

I thought of a few -

• Bocce : in this variant the size of the jack and the player balls is swapped. The jack is large, massive, and magnetic. Play begins by letting the jack free float in some spot, preferably away from metal. Players take turns throwing their small lightweight balls (also magnetic) at the jack. Because both jack and ball are magnetic, if a player gets close, the ball will be captured by the jack. Since the jack is more massive, the player ball (if captured) will orbit the jack a few times and eventually collide. Scoring (for beginners) count jack hits. (advanced players) count the number of times the player ball orbits the jack.
  • Cards : card backs and fronts should be made of a velcro-like material so that they can rest on a felt play table (or any cloth-covered surface).
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

This sounds like several questions (3 comments)
This sounds like several questions
trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Would these individual ideas be better asked as separate questions?

A request for arbitrary suggestions doesn't seem like a good fit for the question and answer format. I wouldn't know whether to interpret voting on the answers as a measure of how well the answer is written, or a measure of how popular the idea is.

If there is demand for idea generation, rather than questions about existing ideas, do we need a new Category where these will fit better than Q&A?

trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

I think the recent individual questions about how a specific sport might be adjusted for low gravity are a good fit for Q&A. It's only this one question that I'm having concerns about. It seems like it might be better suited to chat, and then the ideas thrown up could become specific questions later.

Canina‭ wrote over 1 year ago

I agree. Asking how to adapt a specific game to a new environment (such as a low-gravity environment), while somewhat broad, is still focused and answers can be judged with some degree of objectivity on how well they address criteria laid out in the question. However, a question simply asking "What are some good home games for people living and working in free fall?" is simply too broad to be a good fit for a Q&A format.