"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Merger with a Worldbuilding site?

Parent

Merger with a Worldbuilding site?

+6
−0

Someone posted a Worldbuilding proposal on the Codidact incubator.

The topics allowed on such a site are very similar to the topics allowed on this site; for the most part Scientific Speculation is a subset of Worldbuilding. With some slight differences: this site may allow speculation questions for other purposes than Worldbuilding/creating fiction. And things like magic are off-topic here, unless looking for a viable scientific explanation for "magic x".

I'm not particularly active on either of these sites, but I notice that this site is struggling severely with inactivity. Whereas there's a pretty big and active community over at Worldbuilding SE and similar sites that can form a potential user base over here as well.

So how does the community here feel about a merger with Worldbuilding?

The Codidact category system will likely come into play somehow. Perhaps Worldbuilding becomes a category of this site or vice versa - such details can wait to the point where we know what the community thinks about a merger.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

I am positive to a merger and I think perhaps a rebrand of this site so that is sorts below a Worldbuilding one would be the best way to go.

https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/ is already an established "brand" and it includes "science-based" as a tag, so the current contents of Scientific Speculation could easily be made a category below a Worldbuilding site. Similarly, the Rigorous Science category could be preserved as-is, as yet another category.

This would allow existing users from external Worldbuilding sites to get a flying start so to speak, as the site arrangement would be similar to what they are already used at.

The main difference that may have to be addressed, is that the new site would have a very broad scope. I don't think this is a bad thing initially - the scope can get narrowed down later when the site is active and the community notices that certain forms of questions are more or less well-received.

Another thing that's likely a hot potato is how creative vs how science-based things are allowed to get. I think we could have a ladder of sorts for all manner of questions. For example we could have these categories:

• Sandbox. Maximum creativity allowed; pretty much anything goes.
  • Main Q&A. Reasonably relaxed and allows both Worldbuilding and other forms of speculations, but questions have to meet the site scope.
  • Scientific speculation. Restricted subset, magic and subjective questions are discouraged or simply not allowed.
  • Rigorous science. The present category from here, with higher standards when it comes to sources and claims.
History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

rigorous science (9 comments)
One possibility would be to have a worldbuilding community with broad Q&A and a "science-only" catego... (2 comments)
One possibility would be to have a worldbuilding community with broad Q&A and a "science-only" catego...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 1 month ago

One possibility would be to have a worldbuilding community with broad Q&A and a "science-only" category reflecting Scientific Speculation's scope.

Lundin‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

Monica Cellio‭ Great minds think alike ;) I just made an edit of this answer with category proposals, just like that, as you were typing that comment.